skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Anniversary and Freakshow

As many of you know from previous blogs of mine I have a paralyzed right arm. Among people that know me it is a non-issue but meet new people and you'd think it is the only thing anyone can possibly want to talk to me about. I don't have it in a sling or anything dramatically obvious. You can see from pics in my Photos section I wear a small splint and it just hangs normally-ish. And yet for the past 23 years, 95% of the people I meet it is usually the conversation opener they come up with...like they're the first people to ever ask me about my arm. Right.I don't really care anymore as I have gotten used to it over the years (well, at least most of the time). I deal with it by making one-arm jokes and things of that sort. I have a couple of friends that say they'd like to see me go just one day w/o bringing up my having one-arm but that's harder than it would seem since even if I don't talk about, EVERYONE else does! So getting to my story, last night I was invited to real live genuine Freakshow called 999 Eyes - a reference to an old-timey freakshow from back in the day when they had serious freakshows. My friend's Caberet troupe [Carousel Cabaret] was also performing so that was a definite incentive. Anyway, I decided I'd go check it out but, in the back of my mind, I was thinking maybe for once my one-armed situation wouldn't seem so curious. No matter how ridiculous this may sound it is the absolute truth. I can sum up my "that's what I get for thinking" with the following incident. At one point in the evening I was standing next to "Jackie of all trades" (a woman w/ an absolutely beautiful voice who just so happens to be only a torso and a foot) and midget (can I say that?) who was literally about a foot and a half tall and someone actually walked up to us looked right at me standing in between them an said "Wow, what happened to your arm?". REALLY?!!! I'm in between a midget and a half-woman and you're intrigued by my arm?! The really amazing thing is that person didn't ask what happened to the half-woman for her to end up that way or ask what it was like to be a midget. Trust me their stories are way more interesting than my little ol' arm. I know. I asked. (he he)I swear none of this is intended to sound bitter or angry. In fact, just the opposite, I think it is hilarious. Even at a true-blue freakshow, my malady is the topic of interest - Amazing. But I guess such is life. I do want to thank my friends Sick, fiddle player for the freakshow backup band "That Damned Band" and Raina, aka Lady Bangs, of Carousel Caberet for inviting me. And a very special thanks to Hallie, aka Ruby Joule, of the cabaret troup "The Jigglewatts" - an amazing beauty - you made the evening truly glamorous. And to everyone else out there, if you get the chance, go see the 999 Eyes Freakshow. A good time is guaranteed to be had by all!
Oh wow! I am not sure I was at the same show of 999 eyes, if so , I am sorry I missed you! I was taking photos of them at Super Happy Funland about a year or two ago....Anyways, about your arm...
ReplyDeleteI used to know you in Houston, i remember you from Emos and I remember hanging out with you on a pier in Kemah, tripping and talking for hours ( you said my aura was Magenta, my boyfriends was gray- you were probably right about that, at least him LOL). Anyways, we talked to you again when you were working the door at the brewery tap and that was the first time I EVER noticed your arm! I asked you about it because I had thought it was a recent accident. I had probably seen you and talked to you over a 50 times at this point.... FWIW I have another friend I knew for about a year before I noticed she has only 2 1/2 fingers on her left hand...For someone who takes photos for a living, I guess I am not very observant :)