Tuesday, May 19, 2009

20 years ago today

Yes, I'm better now. Thank you.So, that's right, 20 years ago today the event that I must tell 50 times a day actually occured. What event is that? you ask. Well let me tell you...First let me say that NONE of this is untrue and NONE of this is exagerrated. On a beautiful Texas night with what appeared to be a full moon my best friend at the time suggested that we drive (from Houston) to San Antonio to visit some friends of his at St Mary's seminary. Now, if you don't know what a seminary is, for reasons, that will be cynically expressed later, I'll tell you. A seminary is an institution for the training of candidates for the priesthood, ministry, or rabbinate. Now forget about that for a bit and lets get back to "the event". A beautiful 2 1/2 hour drive and we are arriving in San Antonio. Me, my best friend and another friend of his. And wouldn't you know, just as we passed the San Antonio City Limits sign, it happens...A Freak Accident!Long of the short of it, I get thrown from a truck while on the freeway. I hit 2 lanes of freeway and a containment barrier going about 65mph. End result: paralyzed right arm and busted my head open a bit. Ahhh my kiddies, that's not the even the good part. After passing in & out of consciousness several times, going into shock - a result of arguing with an ER nurse about a catheter (another story, another time), being unconscious for a day and a half and ultimately being in the hospital for the entire rest of the summer, here comes the good part...2 doctors-1 statement. That's right, both my doctors, the one in San Antonio and the one in Houston BOTH made the same exact statement. "It's too bad you were sober. If you had been drinking one would've just rolled instead of reacting by putting your arm out and not even gotten hurt." Again, NOT making that up-NOT exagerating. This sucks on 2 levels for me. 1- Because I have to spend the rest of my life with a paralyzed arm because I WASN'T DRUNK?!!! And 2- If I had been drinking I could've hit the freeway going 65 mph and not even gotten hurt - THAT would've been a cool story to tell! Now if you think I'm twisted because of that last statement...Hello? It's me! Twisted just touches the tip. However. in my defense look at the story I've been stuck having to tell 50 times a day for the past 20 years! Which one would you want to tell?Oh yeah, back to the "seminary" aspect of this story. One of my favorite questions I get asked when people here this story is "Did you find God or become more religious after your accident?" Lets think about that statement for a mioment...I was en route, making the effort to go to another city, to hang out with people studying to be priests. If you can't be watched out for you on that little adventure it makes it a little hard to be inspired toward that sort of new investment of faith for your little 'ol everyday life. (I told you it would be cynical.) Don't get me wrong, I am a very spiritual person, but that's personal - NOT religious. (again -another story, another time) And as far as the telling the story 50 times a day thing...I don't mind people asking me about it I just hate when that's all they can talk to me about! I'm in no way, shape or form bitter about my situation. Ask anyone who has met me or knows me, I am one of the most extroverted, social, fantabulous people you'll ever meet. And, I'm funny, smart, modest and have great legs! Hell, everyone should get to meet me!...ROFL!! I said modest - That's funny!Honestly, If you want to know how I really feel about my situation...again, ask anyone who's met me or knows me...if you can come up with better jokes about it than me - you're immediately my new best friend! The last really good, fresh one I heard was a couple of years ago. Someone asked a friend of mine who I was because I was smoozing with some sassy lass he was interested in and my friend said, and I quote: "Who him? That's just "Q". No need to worry about him. He's armless. Armless?!! That's priceless! Get it? Instead of harmless. Ugh! I can't take you people anywhere! Just kidding, y'all are all fantabulariffic (great word - 50,000 points in Scrabble!)I guess the moral to this story is: DON'T drink and drive BUT, if you're gonna be in an accident, better to be drunk than sober. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Not to say that this is anything like what you go through on a daily basis, but I'm always looking for a better joke to deal with my name. Haven't had one yet. People still pull out the usual "Bite off anyone's ear lately" or "How's Robin" (really?!?!). I even had a moron, I mean, young 20-something lady, who asked me, not 15 years ago (!!!), "What were your parents thinking, naming you after that guy."
    Now, I admit I'm young-looking for my age (or, at least, I was back then when I was only 27-ish), but seriously, how young did she think I was? (Or alternatively, how old did she think the boxer was?)
    Funny, though, how many folks really expect me to be black. When I show up for appointments (which abound in the military) I am constantly encountering stunned looks or questioning glances, like: "You look different than on TV." To which I answer, simply, "It's the lighting in here."

    ReplyDelete