Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kissing [My Romantic Benchmark]

My cyber-friend Doug wrote a great little blog about a kiss (Wolfshades' "Kiss" blog). He prefaced this blog by saying "...and after you read this - consider writing a blog yourself, about your most memorable kiss, or about kisses in general." Well anyone who knows me knows I am the eternally "hopeful romantic". So my blog wheels started turning. Talking about kisses and kissing could be just what I need. The perfect topic to lift one's spirits and something that everyone can relate to...at least I hope everyone can! Kissing is one of the only truths we physically experience. Kissing is something that you can't fake and that's why it is such a pure act of passion. Jessica Rabbit (display name) who also wrote a blog about kissing said it very well when she said "You can fake it in bed, or go through the motions, but you can't fake a soulful or passionate kiss". (unfortunately, Jessica's kiss blog is set to private, otherwise I would offer a link to it - sorry.) Whether its the deep, passionate, Tara's burning in the background, Gone with the Wind kinda kiss. The shove everything off the table, throw 'em down on the table hot and hard kiss. The standing in the rain, wonderful, deep kiss that warms you so intensely the cold rain actually turns to steam as it bounces off you. Or even just the playful, young love, little kisses - nothing can make you smile brighter and bigger and make you feel more alive than the kiss. So I started thinking about kisses that stood out to me in my life. And by the way, if you don't have kisses (plural) that stand out in your life then I hope this blog will inspire you to start now. On that note, I've decided that this is to be one of a few blogs about kisses I plan to write. The reason being that there are different kisses that occured at different times with different circumstances that all have one thing in common...they were all amazing enough to burn a special place in my memory, never to be forgotten. For example, your first kiss ever and the first time you kissed the person you decided to marry are different but I'm sure equally important memories. So the first kiss that I want to write about is the one I consider my romantic benchmark...enjoy
************************************************
I was in 8th grade. She had platinum blond hair, huge blue eyes and a smile made for Miss America. She was sweet, innocent and she liked me. I'd never had a girlfriend and she was my first. My parents had raised me with extreme manners, courtesy and respect. So I didn't know any other way to treat my young "Juliet" than like a lady. I'll never forget what she told me when I asked, why me? She said that every other guy had always told her how pretty she was but I was the first one to ever make her feel pretty. Truth be told I'd been so sheltered as a kid I was absolutely terrified every time I was around her because I felt like this awkward, tingley, goofy, bumbling mess everytime she came near me. I had read most of Shakespeare's major works by the time I was ten (remember? sheltered kid) so I literally referenced that when I had to talk to her (es, you can only imagine my incredible dorkiness - it was staggering! LOL). But between the romance of Shakespeare and my own naive, honest innocence I somehow managed to be somewhat charming and not drool and stutter when we talked. Now at the school I went to every kid in 8th grade took these ballroom dance lessons that were held at this country club in the neighborhood. The cool thing about these dance lessons was it made our parents happy, we got to get out on a school night and by dancing we got to get close to girls at a time when we were just starting to realize we liked getting close to girls. The other cool thing was that after the dance lessons would finish we could hang out while we waited for our parents to come pick us up. Night time, country club, lots of trees and places to wander off to...you get the picture. Well one night dance class ended earlier than usual and this was back before cell phones so we all were basically gonna hang out until it was time for our parents to come and pick us up. So my young "Juliet" and I decided to talk a little walk around the grounds. We found a spot with a bench and sat and talked for a bit. I didn't stand a chance - the moon, the romantic atmosphere, we were alone...I don't know who kissed who first but I do remember it seemed to last forever. And forever wasn't long enough. We sat there and "made out" until it was time to get back to where our parents were supposed to pick us up. It was amazing.Now here is why I call this my romantic benchmark. I literally felt as though I was walking on air after we parted. My head was in this swimmy, swoony loop and I had a smile on my face I could not get off that was so big and goofy that I looked like a had something wrong with me. Which I kinda did. I had just experienced my first real kiss with a girl. Even as I write this I'm literally chuckling because just thinking about that night has me with that same stupid grin on my face...and I love it! I have been blessed in my romantic life but I have always, always searched for that stupid smile, that walking on air, head swimming uncontrollably sensation that only comes from a really great kiss. Now I don't want to lie to you and not say that any kiss is a good kiss. Any kind of affection is nice. But when you are as passionate a person as I am you can't help but absolutely desire and need, not just a good kiss but, that really great kiss! To this day I aspire every kiss I have to be as great as the one that night that seemed to go on forever. And forever is just about how long I plan to kiss like that. I just hope that's long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment